Sunday, January 18, 2015

HELLO AGAIN

How have you guys been? Hope your year end break was good enough to revitalize your soul for 2015. I haven't done up a New Year post because 1) it's a little too late now and 2) this post, as of now, is far more important to me.

Some of you may have noticed Yi Ming's departure on the 13th. So for the past few days, I've been trying to get my life back on track and just... be brave. I'm, slowly but surely, retuning myself to where I was before. Don't get me wrong. I'm okay and still happy; just that I can't deny it's tough doing this whole separation thing all over again or rather, again and again. I've been trying to put away these feels because I didn't think it was necessary for me to confront or reconcile with them. I thought I'd get used to feeling this way but they remained as raw as before. 

I'm writing this post to the most recent mixtape Ming made me. We always make each other's mixtapes since our first..... date(?). In fact, that's how it all started (though that's another story altogether).

Sidenote: Sweetie, I'm likin' the first song so far. Good job!

He really wanted to embed the playlist here as a surprise for me yesterday when the new mixtape was ready, but the silly boy didn't know how haha. Now, while he's asleep, I shall help him do so.

Because there has to be 8 tracks for the playlist to be published, I included my recent mix for him too.  Don't get your hopes up. No expectations, no disappointments. But I genuinely, do hope you discover some songs you might like in there.



"It gets easier."

For those who're currently in a long-distance relationship, whoever told you the above was probably lying. They were just trying to be polite but at the same time, had unknowingly offered you some false sense of security, because I don't think it gets any easier. It doesn't.

When you wave goodbye at the airport with the glass screen in between you and him, that alone feels like enough distance to take on. If you allow me to be melodramatic, I'd even go with how the physical pang of emptiness, deep inside, as your heart aches with the realization that ‘missing you’ doesn’t even begin to cover how much you miss him. I made it a point to not cry at the airport, at least not in front of him. Simply because, in situation like this, being strong for each other is a lot more important than putting the needs of one self first. So fight those tears and smile.


"It gets easier."

How is that possible when you have to be apart from someone you find yourself more in love with each day? How can that statement even justify the complications experienced from leaving someone you wish to keep closest to these days?

The worst thing besides the distance, would be the newfound desperation you discover when you're unexpectedly teased by the bad wifi (your boyfriend chose to attached himself to at the airport); just as he called to let you know he's safe after a 14-hour flight and that he missed you very much. When you have to experience clutching your phone tight to the receiver to trace any hint of connection back to him and repeatedly echo "hello" as you anxiously await for a reply, the realisation of distance will hit you hard and the feeling of being so out-of-reach will consume you whole. That's when you have to resign to reality - ok, stay sane and let's do this again.

We juggle with extremes of proximity. Being TOO FAR and TOO CLOSE and then TOO FAR again in the span of half a year can easily screw up any couple dynamics because the time needed to grasp the reality and to get comfortable again with the circumstances we are in is undoubtedly a feat.

It's always nice when the ringing finally stops, the line gets through with no interference and the voice you're familiar with gently coos, "Hi bb."



I'll be strong. 

I'll be even stronger when I see happy couples together, laughing, smiling and holding hands and doing all the things I wish I could be doing with you. 

I'll be strong for us.


Our Winter break was lovely. We had a lot of fun travelling around and even in Singapore itself, we truly had a blast. Despite you being 10924.916 km away, it's a nice thought to know someone always has you tucked away in the back of his mind as you both go about living separate lives.

When I have finally acknowledged how this is all just a temporary logistical challenge, it's much easier to come to term with the distance because if we are in for the long haul, we have bigger things to worry about.



Always come home safe to me

Despite all the shit LDR is known for, we try to stay focus and I hang on specifically for that moment when he lands in the arrival hall. We would both be engulfed with excitement so much so that no one should fault us for having the goofiest smile across our face. Because we've learnt to live in the moment and for those moments, it makes you believe there is no limit to how far love can travel.


Till the next flight home, baby.







15 comments :

  1. Sending all the love you need to help you be strong <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :') As of now, it's 18 more days!!!!

      Delete
  2. Your writing is exquisite. Wishing you a lot of luck, a lot of love, and a lot of faith. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely wouldn't go with exquisite. My boyfriend's though, yes I'd agree. Thank you for your kind words. We truly appreciate it :')

      Delete
  3. Beautiful words as always <3

    You're absolutely right and I take the same kind of comfort knowing that in my own LDR, there's someone across the world who always has me in the back of his mind, and him in the back of mine.

    Xx Isabelle
    http://cheersisabelle.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, you put it so nicely. Thanks for dropping by; giving me exactly the motivation I need :')

      Delete
  4. Before the LDR, my boyfriend and I had been spending almost 24/7 together for 1.5 years. I've seen the good qualities in him he is loving take good care of me etc but throuh separations I realised he is not the ideal boyfriend for LDR. He sucks at keeping in touch/sweet talking over the phone or simply not good in expressing himself with words I hardly feel the same love he had for me when we were physically together. (He did learn to text more Skype more often but the 8 hours difference isn't helping :( ) but when we got back together everything's back to normal he is still the same sweet loving man.

    I'm seeing himself soon again in two weeks, I'm excited but nervous at the same time, I'm not sure does it still feel the same but I hope like what you said, a temporary challenge, in my case: to see if he is the right guy :)

    Let's us be strong together!! P/S ops sorry for the lengthy comment

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. how's the reunion?!??!?!?!?!!!!!!!! so sorry for the late reply but I'm truly excited to hear about your updates ok! lmi if you can. I hope everything is still amazing on your end. thanks for sharing your story with yi ming and i. we appreciate it very much :')

      Delete
  5. I love you Irina this is beautifully written without exception and it leaves me in tears! I could definitely relate to what you have been going through. Me and my bf had survived quite a few of rough patches too. We are totally from two different worlds but somehow we just got glued together like peanut butter and jelly. Things were so great when we were together 24/7 for over 3 years until that day when we had to wave goodbye at Heathrow and not knowing when we will get to see each other again. But ya, I thought we would be in puddle of tears instead 'we fought those tears and smiled'. We reminded each other to be strong and that we will see each other again very soon eventhough we both knew that our future was uncertain. After days and months of agony, I finally get to mark my calendar for a date with him at the airport in a months time from now! And if things work like a charm, the air ticket will be one way..fingers crossed!! I sincerely hope that it really gets easier between you and Yi Ming and you two really make a lovely couple together xxx - S

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SHERMAINE!!!!!! HOW HOW?! Is he back already or in a few days time? Omg I'm so excited for you!!!!!!!! Yi Ming is coming back in 16 days time. Well, yes, compared to other LDR couples, we've it a lot easier but because of such to and fro, adaptability doesn't kick in as fast and as well... :-\ oh well... that aside, I WISH YOU ALL THE BEST OK! SEIZE EVERY SECOND <3

      Delete
  6. hi irina! do you mind listing down the titles of the songs in the mix tapes you made for yiming and vice versa for the ones he made for you? i mean the songs are all so good but 8tracks didn't show the titles :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He used to list them for me, but not this one since it's uploaded online to me instead of hardcopy with a cd cover. So sorry. As for mine, I don't keep track of the songs I picked. And I don't ever give them to him. It's a mystery, he has to shazam them. Maybe you should too *wink*

      Delete
  7. Beautiful post. I can very well relate to this as my love and I, would only get to see each other once a year. LDR has its pros and cons. Afterall, absence makes the heart grow fonder.

    Stay strong, Irina. :')

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, once a year... Hang in there ok. Let's ALL be strong, for each other *hugs*

      Delete
  8. Hey Irina,

    I came across your blog and I just want to tell you it gave me so much strength.
    My boyfriend is overseas for studies now and I know exactly how it feels. Every single call and text becomes increasingly precious and this post is just so beautifully written.

    Wishing all the very best for ALL our relationships and glad that you'll be seeing him soon.

    ReplyDelete